Don Capps wrote:

> ...I have noted with some interest that several list members apparently
> record mp3 files from their computers onto minidisc. Apparently, from what
> I've read here and on the several webboards devoted to minidisc, this is a
> rather common practice. In light of this, how do you all feel about the fact
> that mp3 files recorded to minidisc have been subjected to rather heavy data
> compression, not once, but twice? This, it would seem to me, would have a
> definite effect on fidelity. Even well encoded mp3 files may have been
> subjected to compression ratios as high as 10 : 1. Not to mention the added
> ATRAC compression of the minidisc recording process itself. Any thoughts on
> this?

First of all, I do not subscribe to the noticeable difference between the source
and the digital MD copy.  If you want to hear a difference, you will.  The
problem here is are you really Hearing the difference or are you "hearing" it?

It is impossible to to know if your mind is telling you there is a difference.
But I subscribe to the I make MDs to listen to mainly in the car theory.  I
really don't think that even with a decent quality car stereo system, the sound
quality between an MD and a CD.

Of course you are talking it from someone who things that the MD copy of a CD
sounds as good as the original.

Larry