[snip]
> Looking from a purely technical standpoint, ATRAC
> beats MP3. ATRAC is fully reverse and forward compatible, and is
constantly
> updated with new revisions. MP3 has been the same since the MPEG1 Audio
> standard was made back in the late '80s.
> --
> Robert J. Lynn, Jr.
> Brainbench Certified Computer Technician, Linux Administrator, and Master
> Windows 98 User

With a signature like that, I bet you know all about Ogg Vorbis !

Has anyone discussed Ogg Vorbis on this list?  It's a royalty-and-patent
free alternative (lifestyle) to MP3 developed in an open-source community.
It shares the advantages of MP3, and loses some of the disadvantages, namely
it is fully reverse and forward compatible, is constantly (or rather I
should say continually) updated with new revisions and features better
compression algorithms than MP3.
On paper at least.  Ogg Vorbis is still going through extensive beta testing
before it is officially 'released'  -  and shortly after the release the
folks the developers are planning to set up double-blind and A/B/X
audiophile tests

http://www.vorbis.com or http://www.xiph.org  for information if you're
interested in finding out more about this fledging audio format (which is
supported in Sonique, FreeAmp, WinAmp, GoldWave, etc and some upcoming
portable audio players)

I guess that makes this post slightly off topic.  This will help remedy
that:
"MiniDiscs are THE CHEAPEST rewriteable media for natural-sounding portable
audio"
(that's a fact, right? unless you're going to argue with my definition of
'natural-sounding' )

Dave