> >...I would contend
> > that MD has not
> > exactly met with mainstream acceptance either and that it is
> > not going to do
> > so in the future. Both items are at present a small niche
> > market in the
> > larger audio equipment marketplace compared to the sales of
> > CD players, DVD
> > players, and even consumer CD recorders.

> Maybe this is so in the U.S.  Here in NZ I would say MD acceptance is
> similar to the reported position in the UK - two years ago no-one had
heard
> of it, now more and more people have portables, many people (maybe still
not
> most) have heard of the concept.

I'll add my bit to this thread too.
In the UK, I do not know a single person who owns a consumer CD recorder.
However almost every technically-literate friend and colleague has a PC CD
Writer and / or  a consumer DVD player
Also, I know just ONE person who owns an MP3 player.  ONE.  That includes
all of the people who work at my place of work (a VERY technical place, full
of like-minded gadget-fiend engineers). A dozen or so people I know and work
with own MD equipment, be it in-car units, portable personal units or
consumer MD decks.

(I will add that I know people with PDAs (PalmV and Compaq iPaq seem
popular) and that these are able to play MP3 files - however I am not
including these in my total of MP3-player-owners, in the same way that I am
not including every person I ever knew who owned a PC as an MP3-player
owner)

Richer Sounds, Comet, Currys, Dixons, Index and Argos are all stocking
healthy amounts of MD gear.  And these are all common-or-garden high street
chain stores.  Blank MDs can be had for 99p (~70 cents I guess?) and that's
without even looking very hard.  HMV and Virgin Megastores sell both blank
MDs and prerecorded discs.

So I guess the UK MD 'scene' is dramatically different to the current US
situation and perhaps in some ways THE strongest MD market?  What are other
countries like (europe? japan?)

Dave