Not that this is on topic or anything but around 2k is pretty standard if
you are building a fairly cutting edge system (not exceptional). My last
(spring 2000) was just over 2k (not including monitor/printer/etc..) 500
might be ok for a out of the box cookie cutter non upgradable sortof web
surfing/word processing system. Unfortunately those systems tend to leave
you stranded in about a year if you are trying to do anything more demanding
with them. For those of us who do gaming/development spending 1-2k every two
years or so is pretty much a given.

-Jen