> Seriously now. Do you have a computer? OK. Then you're almost
> there. Do you
> have a CD burner? They're getting pretty cheap of late ya know.

Cute answer, but it all depends who you're talking about and what products
you're comparing MP3s/Expanium to, doesn't it?

If you're talking about people on e-mail mailinglists, then yes most of them
will have computers, so that expense isn't a big deal (don't assume too much
- this PC belongs to my employer, and many MD-Lers will be in the same
position).

If you're talking about the general audio market (remember we are talking
about audio products), the expense of a computer does need to be factored
in.

Most importantly, in comparing MD with MP3s & the Expanium, as audio
products, you *do* have to consider that an MD unit will operate with other
audio as a standalone unit, but these other units need a PC.  So in direct
comparison the cost of a PC needs to be factored in.  So IMO Dan Frakes'
point stands.

I'm not saying the Expanium isn't a great product that doesn't suit you
immensely - I'm sure it is and does.  But I suspect there is a reason that
things like MP3 players aren't that mainstream yet - MD has one strong thing
going for it and that is that people can hook it up to their CD players and
burn copies or plug earphones into the things and hear music.  Nice and
simple.

Richard Lang
Solicitor

Duncan Cotterill
Christchurch, New Zealand

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel: (++64)-3-379-2430  fax: (++64)-3-379-7097
http://www.duncancotterill.com

This communication contains information that is confidential and which may be subject
to legal privilege or subject to copyright.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not use, distribute or copy the contents of this communication.  If you have
received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail,
facsimile or collect telephone call to +64 3 379 2430 and destroy the original.  We
virus scan all e-mails and electronic media but are not responsible for any virus or
alternation.