From: "Richard Lang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> If you're talking about the general audio market (remember we are talking
about audio products), the expense of a computer does need to be factored
in.

Indeed. Point well made and well taken. But I would contend that MD has not
exactly met with mainstream acceptance either and that it is not going to do
so in the future. Both items are at present a small niche market in the
larger audio equipment marketplace compared to the sales of CD players, DVD
players, and even consumer CD recorders.

However, there nevertheless remains a viable market for both products and I
believe that sales stats over the next few quarters will show that MP3
devices have been very hot sellers with the major electronics retailers. For
example, DVD players which also decode MP3 files have been flying off the
Circuit City shelves here locally, and I don't exactly live in the center of
the audio/video universe.

> I'm not saying the Expanium isn't a great product that doesn't suit you
immensely - I'm sure it is and does.  But I suspect there is a reason that
things like MP3 players aren't that mainstream yet - MD has one strong thing
going for it and that is that people can hook it up to their CD players and
burn copies or plug earphones into the things and hear music.  Nice and
simple.

Richard, far be it from me to downplay the many merits of MD. I love it. I
use it. Frequently. I just take exception to the apparent attitude that MP3
is somehow an inferior compression format...especially at high bitrates.
That is simply and patently untrue.

Don C.