From: "las" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Someone (I think it was Don Capp) recently was praising their Phillips
Expanium. I was wondering if it has any major advantages over the Memorex
MPD8505CP? The size and weight of both is close (the Phillips is a tenth of
an inch thinner, only 8 hundreds of an inch wider, 8 hundredths of an inch
shorter but weighs a
tenth of a pound more.  Same warranty and accessories. The Phillips is
sleeker looking.  But for $70 I can give up a little sleek. I understand
that the original version of the Memorex had skipping problems, but
the revised version is OK.  The Memorex is about $70 less.

As I recall the Memorex doesn't support bitrates any higher than 128kbps
(reliably) and only supports the ISO9660 file format, which means that files
are limited to an 8 character file name. Other than that, the unit is great
from what I've heard. Sounds good and very reliable.

However...IF "someone" were to be in the market for a CD-MP3 player (which I
know you aren't since you don't care for mp3) then I would recommend that
they wait for the TDK Mojo to be released at the beginning of April. It will
have all the various bells and whistles that you could possibly want in an
MP3-CD player...which is about typical of second gen products imo.

Don C.