On Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:16:05 -0500, las <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I just wish that MD could record MP3 files in the MP3 format without ATRAC.
>Just pure MP3, not bitwise reduction and compression.

I fully agree.  It seems Sony is missing a market that could expand their sales.
But maybe not as going to cd-r is likely the least expensive route.

I got to thinking recently that banning mp3 swapping actually defeats the RIAA's
purpose of maximizing sales revenue.  Consider this ... I download somem mp3's
on groups I'm interested in.  I like what I hear.  What do I do?  I eventually
buy their cd's.  Now if there's no Napster what are my alternatives?  I borrow
from friends and make a perfect cd-r copy of the music I like.  Do I ever buy
those cd's?  Unlikely.  Net effect, abolish Napster and cd sales go down.  It's
sort of like pre-recorded MD's.  They were found not to be a substitute for
cd's.

-jts <Arlington, TX>