>Almost all of the white collar workers not only own computers but use them
>at work
>every day.  Most of the kids I know in their teens can only copy cassettes
>because
>they have dual decks and all they have to do is push one button.  They
>could never
>copy a CD to an MD having to use two separate units.

I know for a fact that many teens do know how to do a little more than copy
cassettes with a dual deck.  I'm 16 and I've been using MD for over 2
years.  I use it as the portable medium of choice for bus rides, car rides,
exercise, backpacking, and almost everything else.  As a quick example, I
have produced several high quality recordings of concerts and musicals put
on by our local high school.  The point here is that we really shouldn't
pick on a given generation on this list.  Morons exist at every age group
in any population.  The full range of technical skill will exist in any
sample of any group.  Sure, I know how to copy from MD to CD using 2
separate units.  Many people don't.  I'd imagine that many 50-year-olds
don't know how to do this either (I'm sure neither of my parents do, and
neither of them are "retarded.")  I just don't think that this forum is the
correct one to slam given generations.  No generation is perfect, and no
generation is totally flawed when it comes to technical skill in audio.

>The reason that kids in their 20's know a lot about computers is that their
>parents (who were in their late 20's or mid thirties at the time) bought a
>computer so their kids have been exposed to computers since they were born.

You are correct here, it is my non-retarded parents who I have to thank for
giving me such access to computers, MD, etc.  I'm thankful for that, but I
know a lot about computers because I spend a heck of a lot of time using
them, and I've taught myself how to solve most problems that I run in
to.  While they pay for the machine, I'm the one that knows how to fix it
when it breaks.

>I'll bet your parents use computers and listen to CDs.  If they aren't
>into MD,
>that's your fault.

How is it my fault that my parents aren't into MD???  I love the format,
but it is time-consuming to do a real-time transfer.  Add in the fact that
I use a Xitel-DG1, and this requires some extra configuration to prevent of
breaks in the digital signal, and you have a lot of time consumed in
creating a 74-minute disc.  I'm willing to spend fifteen or twenty minutes
and then tie up the PC for 74 minutes of recording.  My parents are only
willing to spend 2 minutes in Easy CD Creator and then tie up the machine
for 8 while the thing burns.  It's personal preference, not really a fault.

Sorry if this little rant sounded too much like a flame.  I'm just sick of
people assuming that because computers are becoming easier to use, that all
kids are becoming lazier with them.  By the way, I also know how to change
the alternator on my car, I'm not just some geek with absolutely no
life.  I really resent that because I've worked pretty hard thus far in my
life to know what I do about technology and otherwise.  I'd appreciate it
if we leave the stereotypes at the door and stop behaving like...well,
teenagers.

Dan Irwin

You can kill the revolutionary, but you can't kill the revolution.