This email was delivered to you by The Free Internet,
a Business Online Group company. http://www.thefreeinternet.net

Well, soundcards don't preserve track numbers, thats down to the software
itself, but I coincidentally have been looking at many optical I/O
soundcards recently, and from what I can tell, the cheapest option would be
any CMI8378 chipset card and then buy an add on board, I know already of two
8378 cards, the Zoltrix Nightingale and the Audioexcel AV511, but you will
probably find the Zoltrix unavailable mostly, as the company (from what I
can tell) has gone bankrupt, but the Audioexcel card shouldn't be hard to
find. Once you've done that, visit http://www.opticompo.com and there is a
site that does SB Live and Audioexcel AV511 add ons, ranging from simple
optical I/O to 5 1/2" bays with Optical I/O, Coax I/O and RCA Aux In as
well. A much easier alternative, though, if you are unable to wait, is to
get hold of an SB Live Value/5.1 Player, and get one of the Hoontech
add-ons, DB II or DB III being probably what you need, which are available
all over. I know you said for inexpensive, but it probably could be
worthwile in the long run to get one of the SB Live Platinum/5.1 Platinum
types, or the Hercule Game Theater XP, because while probably costing more
than $175, they have an impressive array of connections available, one which
takes up a 5 1/2" drive bay, the other an external unit. To others that are
reading this with a larger budget, check out Hoontechs own soundcards with
breakout boxs, or do a good bit of researching yourself. For software that
splits up the tracks, you'd probably have to get something like Cool Edit
Pro, CuBase (sp?) although I am sure you will probably be able to find
cheaper programs that do the job you want (I think Total Recorder does, but
dont quote me on that). Anyway, I've gone on long enough, I hope thats
enough information for ya, peace.

Stuart Howlette
"There are many questions in life, but is the right answer only correct
because the majority believe in it?"
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://minidisc.sphosting.com
http://minidisc.sphosting.com/personal/