> Always keep in mind "You get what you pay for".  I would
> recommend getting the M Audio (aka Midiman) DiO 2448:
>
> M Audio product page:
> http://www.midiman.com/m-audio/html/products/dio2448.htm
>
> Places to buy:
> http://www.core-sound.com/dio_2448.html
> http://www.digitalaudioworks.com/mimd482.html
M-Audio Dio 2448 is better than Zoltrix (which I do have (with opitical
board) and probably need to sell...). I use it now. It is more stable. Once
you install it and all the IRQs agree with it, it works great. The only
drawback is that it is not really a sound card. It is an I/O board. It
doesn't have an amp or support for MIDI. Zoltrix does have all of these, but
it is far more difficult to set it up. It is very flaky for input. For
output both card will work great. None of them reclock the input SPDIF
signal, though. That means that if the optical cable is not PERFECT you will
loose seconds or maybe even minutes from each hour of your recording. I
ended up putting a Midiman CO2 between the deck and the card (Dio 2448) and
using optical to CO2 and coax from CO2 to the card.
BTW, Zzounds have a better price for Dio 2448:
http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=p.THKMIMD482&z=1066064731138 -- $109.95.
I'm sure you can find it even cheaper.