This email was delivered to you by The Free Internet,
a Business Online Group company. http://www.thefreeinternet.net

> Hi all.
>
> I just thought about something.  If MDs had come out BEFORE CDs, I wonder
if
> CDs would have caught on as well?
>
> What advantages does the CD have over an MD.  If any, the only argument
can
> be that it does not use as much compression (any with a limited background
in
> recording  will tell you that all recorded music has some compression in
it).

> The fact that HDCDs and such don't seem to be catching on tells me that it
is
> NOT improved sound quality that makes people choose the CD over the MD.

It is based on quality, the main reason HDCD, SACD and DVD-A have yet to
take off or have not took off is that they have limited software available,
its like saying that people would rather buy a £10 stereo than £1000
separates system, its down to availability and overall, price.

  OK,
> this is a 180 degree of my prior thinking.
>
> The MD should have been conceived with the possibility of a future MD ROM,
> rather than incompatible and very slow Data MDs.  They should have also
made
> the data storage capabilities of the MD greater.  Even if they had to make
> them 2 sided the way floppy discs are.
>
> Nah!!  140 MB is still more than a ZIP drive.  The fact that Iomega is
still
> in business after all of the defective products they threw at the public
> amazes me.  They lost a class action suit big time over none readable
Ditto
> tape drives (I think that there were Zips involved too).
>
> I don't think that enough of the public made them give their money back.
> have a drive and a bunch of tapes sitting around that I never bothered to
get
> my money back for.
>
> The public seems to find video quality more important (or noticeable) than
> audio.  Look at the way DVDs caught on and are overtaking  VHS (don't give
me
> the, "then why didn't Beta make it over VHS because Beta had a better
> picture"?  First off I never found that to be factual and I owned both.
> Second, the video quality was relative to the tape speed and Beta just ddi
> not have enough tape on it to run fast enough to offer a better picture
than
> VHS).
>
> Convenience and familiarity most be factors with DVD too.  People just
feel
> comfortable with CDs.  I don't understand it.  You'd think that when they
> introduced DVDs they would have had them in a protective shell (but they
> wanted the players to be compatible with CDs and CD ROMs).
>
> MD has IMHO already peaked in the US (not much of a peak at that) and will
be
> around for a long time (thanks to the internet and international means of
> obtaining MD from Japan I guess Sony feels that there is still enough of a
> market to offer a limited number of models in the US and introduce some of
> the newer technologies (like LPMD).
>
> I place a large part of the blame on Sony and greed.  Then never promoted
MD
> correctly and did not drop the prices to acceptable levels in the US.
They
> also needed to make simpler, more user friendly models for the general
> public.
>
> I don't believe that the majority of the public could give a damn about
> titling and find the editing capabilities of MD beyond their needs.  They
> should make "idiot" models at a very low price that allow you to record
and
> record over, just like a cassette.
>
> Move, delete single track delete, delete all, etc. are just too much for a
> public where their VCRs blink 12:00...12:00....12:00.... all of the time.
> The fact that so many people own computers (yes Shawn, even old people
like
> me) and can surf the net and load programs is beyond my understanding.
>
> I think it just shows that if you really want to use something and feel
the
> need to use it  you will take the time to learn how to do so.
> Larry

Your post has raised some very significant points BUT what your thinking is
what if, not what has, and I'm sorry but MD didn't come out before CD's,
same as thinking what you would do with the money if you won the lottery,
yeah, its fun for a couple of minutes, but it aint ever gonna happen for
most of us, so instead, enjoy how you want it, and dont let the popularity
of a product fool you, popularity does not equal quality, ie *N'Sync are
popular, need I say more?

Stuart Howlette
"There are many questions in life, but is the right answer only correct
because the majority believe in it?"
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://minidisc.sphosting.com
http://minidisc.sphosting.com/personal/