On  6 Jun 01, %l:28PM, Stainless Steel Rat wrote:
> You are mistaken if you believe that there is a 1,411,200Hz square wave
> stored on a DAT.  All that is there is ones and zeros, which do form a
> square wave if you treated it as something audible (which it isn't) with an
> effective frequency some twice that (~2,862,311.5Hz if I did the math
> right).

that's what i'm saying. effectively, the dat recording head (which is
fundamentally still just a magnet, like a cassette recording head) stores
what in analog audio would be a very high frequency square wave on the
tape. this requires a different mechanism than a simple analog recording
head, which could never hope to represent such a high frequency wave, but
has no trouble with 10,000Hz. thus the need for rotation of smaller heads,
or compression, or SOMETHING to increase the bandwidth to/from the tape.

i don't want to go back & forth on the list more about this; feel free to
respond in email.

take care
peter