I dropped by Target today and picked up the 700, as someone on this list
had earlier promised it would be there.  They had the 500 advertised at
$149 and the 700 at $199.  It rang up for $249, but the display said $199,
so I challenged them to look at it and they corrected it.  What was even
cooler is that you can get a Target card and take an additional 10% off of
your purchase.  So if you want to buy one (or more) and get one of their
cards, the cost comes out to $180 plus tax.

I must say that I am very impressed with the quality of the unit, and
surprised with how much the salesman knew about the unit.  He was able to
explain to me the difference between the 700 and 500 (which I already
knew), and seemed genuinely excited about the products.  Maybe it was a
fluke, but I think he could convince a questioning customer to choose MD
over MP3.  The only thing I didn't like about it was that they only had the
green one in stock (and my kids argued over whether it's green or
yellow).  One more cute thing:  My two year old heard me talking about it
to my wife, and she saw it and said, "I like your mickeydix player,
Daddy."  So there you go, score one for youth appeal.  Now I just need some
Hello Kitty md's for her to see.

Anyway, I have just a couple of questions about the unit for those of you
who have one.

1.      It comes with the Sony Ni-Cad battery.  I have been using NiMh AA cells
in my other Sony equipment (R-30 and EP-11), but not charging them within
the units.  I'm curious if it would be okay to charge an NiMh within the
700.  My charger puts out 1.5V at 50-80 Ma, and is rated OK for Ni-cad or
NiMh.  I don't want to take a risk, but I'd rather use the NiMh cells and
save the Sony one in case I resell this later.

2.      The book specifically says do not use other Sony remotes from other MD
units.  Specifically, p. 20 says, "To prevent recorder malfunction, do not
use a remote control that was supplied with another Sony portable MD
model."  I have a "lipstick" remote (MZ-R35) from the EP-11 that has LCD
readout which I would like to use.  However, I'm not interested in causing
a "recorder malfunction."  I'm not encouraging anyone on the list to damage
their unit, but I thought some of you may have "tried" this by now.

Thanks for your help.

David Fincher