On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Marc Britten wrote:

> i'm just replying to the USB bit.
>
> the main advantage i believe USB to have over older connection models
> is supplied power, no more ugly wall warts for the Printer/scanner/etc

Yeah.  For my birthday last year, my girl bought me this bad-ass USB
microscope.  It's made for kids, but it's really cool.  Hooks right up to
the port, no need for power source, and it digitizes magnified
images.  Too cool.

I also use a USB/SCSI converter cable for my external jaz drive and it
runs fast enough for me, although I would never use a USB burner--you're
just asking for trouble there.

I've never used firewire, but there's already stuff being prototyped in
the music productions field.  The new gear is using firewire to send both
audio and midi data from one piece of music machinery to another--without
a computer.  Sounds cool.