Besides which, if you're using a SBLive, it does a sample rate
conversion on EVERY SIGNAL to 48 kHz (even if the digital signal is
already at 48 kHz) to be put through its DSP, and if you're recording a
44.1 kHz signal, it does a sample rate conversion back to 44.1, so you
won't get an exact copy no matter what.  If you try the experiment with
a DAT or CD-R you need a sound card that guarantees an exact digital
copy.  Soundblasters don't.

A few cards that do are the ZA2, Zoltrix Nightingale, (both out of
production, I think) WaveCenter/PCI, UA-30, Maya and on and on.  That's
what I can think of off the top of my head.

-steve