on 8/31/01 12:57 AM, Shawn Lin at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In my personal observations, MD is only a dying format in North
> America.

Is it really any wonder? When was the last time you could find a decent
selection of MD equipment?

I currently have a Kenwood MD unit in my car. And I'd love to upgrade it to
a unit that uses MDLP, which is PERFECT for use in a car. But the only MDLP
Kenwood has released so far with MDLP is the low end unit. The current model
equivalent to the unit I have does not have MDLP. And the Sony units just
look hideous. I wouldn't want to put one in my Mercedes. (It's old, but it's
still has class.)

Or consider the MZ-R900. Sony finally released it here not very many months
ago, but only in that hideous red color. (I bought a blue one from Japan
almost a year ago.) And now they're already shipping an upgraded model to
the rest of the world.

Or how about a boom box that uses MD? Can anyone even name one that ships in
the US? Or a clock/radio/MD?

Lets face it. I read about cool MD stuff all the time THAT I CAN'T EVEN BUY!
Sony, and other MD manufacturers have been treating the US market like
second class citizens. You can't sell products that aren't available. Is it
any wonder MD is not doing well in the US?

On the plus side, I've noticed more and more low end units in stores like
Sears, Circuit City and others. Of course, those stores never even carry the
good stuff anyway. I wonder if that trend has anything to do with the lack
of availability?

 Ed "What the" Heckman                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]