Although not mentioned (neither on Doug's cookbook) I have always supposed was
more likely the c++ default for both weak/strong CAS ie seq_cst memory ordering.
To make this question more mechanical sympathy focused: on hardware level what
happen? I would be curious to know both x86/arm versions for this, what kind of
memory reordering are guaranteed...

Most people says that a failed CAS cost much less then one that succeed, but
just like a load or more?
Probably the success will cause invalidation of all the caches that reference
the cache line changed, but the failed case should lock (on x86) it and AFAIK
locks (hw or SW) are not well known to be scalable and performant :)