On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 11:41 AM Steven Stewart-Gallus <
stevenselectronicm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Couldn't you do a compare and compare and swap? With VarHandles something
> like
>
> if (ACTION.getOpaque(this) != expected) return false;
> return compareAndExchange(this, expected, newValue) == expected;
>
> Not sure I got this correct

In general you could.  This is sometimes referred to as TTAS (test and
test-and-set).

In this thread’s example, the “checks the count via a volatile load” I
mentioned is a similar effect; under some conditions, and opaque load might
be slightly cheaper than a volatile one (on x86 at least).  The difference
would only really be a result of the optimizer doing other scheduling
around the opaque load, but not around a volatile one.

The right/best approach for Simone’s case depends on specifics (don’t they
all?! :)).  I didn’t actually pick up on how often the termination protocol
triggers - I assumed it’s an uncommon/slow path.

--
Sent from my phone