Never tried it but the functionality was moved into an extension,
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:HitCounters

The MediaWiki site probably will not distribute the old versions of skins
although they do exist in the old branches of their respective Git
repositories.

Is there any particular reason why you are using such an old unsupported
version of MediaWiki?

Sorry I can't be of more help at the moment - currently sat on a campsite.

-- Lewis Cawte