I'm not too familiar with the code but I don't think it would be too
difficult to update HitCounters to run under 1.30.

What state the extension is outside of the basic compatibility changes I
don't know. I think it was removed from core over general performance  and
accuracy concerns.

I'll try to remember to have a look this week.

-- Lewis Cawte