After reading the feedback on this and pondering it over the weekend, I think
the reality would be:

1) Device providers would agree to a single conduit/point-of-contact in MeeGo
community (preferrably Linux Foundation employee) to manage devices provided
exclusively to MeeGo community under the auspices of a MeeGo Device Program.

2) Device providers could of course still elect to provide devices to MeeGo
community at their discretion outside of a formal MeeGo Device Program.

The main distinction being that the former would carry with it conditions
particular to a MeeGo-developed program (eg "MeeGo community member in good
standing", etc) along with the possibility that loaner devices would only
circulate within the MeeGo community.

As we discussed this for maemo.org, the reality of global logistics became a
sticking point, hence the need for a single managing entity-- which of course
would manage a budget for shipping, occasional travel to device providers and
meetups, etc.  It might even ultimately make sense to have a single office but
with a coordinator for each major global region.  From my recent experience
helping to manage Nokia global logistics I can confidently say it would be the
best approach.

Am I offbase here?

Randy