"What's in a name?"

Shaver, Michael R wrote:
>> On 4/28/10 1:39 AM, "Andrew Flegg" <and...@bleb.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 00:27, Spencer, Bob <bob.spen...@intel.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> My ears were burning and now I know why.  I've read through the
>>> thread and picked here to jump in for a few comments below.
>>
>> Great to see you here, Bob.
>>
>>> Here's some more stuff to throw into the discussion.  We've been
>>> focusing on the netbook "garage" client with the hopes that
>>> governance would be clear on how to proceed with process.
>>
>> I assume "garage client" is equivalent to aptitude/Hildon
>> Application Manager/...?

That is the intent.

>> Can I request that we DON'T call the gateway to community downloads
>> "Garage"?
Yes.  "Garage" was picked because I spent 0 time thinking about the name and
started working on a client to be ready for our release (and it takes
time to empower a viable, responsible, "Community Repository Team")
The current name of the app is "MeeGo Garage" and can be changed.

>>   * "Garage" doesn't make me think of car showrooms, it makes
>>     me think of mechanics. This gives an overly technical
>>     impression to what will be a source of very high quality
>> software.
>>
>>   * "Garage" has a strong, and long-lived, meaning in the
>>     Maemo community as site providing GForge/Sourceforge-style
>>     facilities for the building and management of projects,
>>     rather than the distribution of them.
>>
>>   * "Garage" was a term used by Moblin. Adopting it without
>>     further discussion for MeeGo would seem like once again
>>     Intel is reusing labels from Moblin directly on MeeGo,
>>     seemingly short-changing the Maemo community.

Only "seemingly".  Let's get a name we all like.  The app name can be
changed with the first meego update when we hook it up to the real
repos this team sets up.  It is currently pointing to the MeeGo "extras"
repo to provide a starting point for our efforts.

I do think the name could imply experimental or unpolished.  I assume the
high-quality, professional apps would be put into AppUp, which can also have
open source apps.  2c.

Bob