Hi,

let's please keep meego-dev CC'ed as this is not a meegotouch problem
only, but also covers meegotouchtheme and probably many other modules.

Am Freitag, den 24.09.2010, 15:59 +0300 schrieb Eero Tamminen:
> ext Michael Hasselmann wrote:
> >>     There's nothing preventing you from filing what ever bugs you think
> >>     need to be reported for the publicly available code and setting
> >>     dependencies on them.
> >
> > Do you believe that this is sustainable?
>
> It seems to have worked in bugs.maemo.org.

Well, it *kind of* worked, with lots of frustration for all included
parties. It did not work well though, and I'm not keen at all to
continue with this weird constrcution.

> Community maintains
> the information in community bug tracker (community naturally
> involves also Nokia employees, not necessarily from Nokia email
> addresses if they have their "hobby" hat on).  "Bug master" makes
> sure that relevant things are synched to internal tracker and
> information from there gets to public one.

So much for the theory that misses some parts that make life easier
(e.g. developers that are willing to talk directly to the community).

It does not answer though why exactly an internal Bugzilla is needed
(and hence the syncing).

> Each vendor having its own additional bug tracker would probably
> need such a "bug master", at least if they maintain open components
> in MeeGo.

Sounds like the usual upstream<->downstream link that also exist for
e.g. {GNOME, KDE, LXDE, ...}<->{OpenSuse, RedHat, Ubuntu, ...}.
Still in these cases the downstream bugtrackers are public though.

In general:
Instead of having two bugtrackers a saner way is to restrict access in
bugs.meego.com to attachments when being attached in case they contain
sensitive information (however the developer has to find out somehow),
and to investigate how to keep information about potential new hardware
secret (=only accessible to a few people) too, e.g. by making certain
fields only visible/accessible to members of certain groups.

Planning and implementing this would take time, requires to teach
Bugzilla users to avoid information leakage, and might require writing
some Bugzilla code (that should be discussed and integrated upstream).

The question is if Nokia wants to do that, as I haven't seen any
attempts so far to upstream internal Nokia Bugzilla changes (the last
and only commit from a @nokia.com address according to bzr log was "fix
perl warnings under 5.6.0" from 2001, but maybe Nokia employees just
don't like using their @nokia.com addresses).

That is a question that Nokia's Error Management should be able to
answer, hopefully in public.

andre
--
Andre Klapper (maemo.org bugmaster)