On May 3, 2011, at 4:15 PM, ext Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> On
>> + Will be developed open soon
>
> and is thus completely irrelevant.
> sorry.
> too little too late.
> we're shipping in 2 weeks....
> whatever we do afterwards better be compatible with what we shipped, or we
> will likely pass on inclusion.

I think that it should be completely irrelevant about argue that issue. Intel
and Nokia both developed their components
this year as closed, both ended different solution, Intel just happened release
their result same weeks before Nokia.

>> we'd have two incompatible sets of tablet apps. Those that use MeeGo
>> UX Components, and those that use Qt Components, with either tablet
>> not able to run the other framework.
>
> today, compliance does not yet cover the components, but you're making a very
> good case that it should....

And I really hope that we should look this issue in larger context, not only as
MeeGo tablet, not even
MeeGo only. Still, largest Qt and Linux  communities lives outside of MeeGo
scene and there
is no good reason branch  own way.

Even Qt components are developed as mobile origin they hopefully will replace
old QWidget
API in all Qt applications including all mobile environments and desktops. As
far as I know,
we least have now Desktop components for Linux desktops/Mac/Windows, Nokia
MeeGo Components,
Intel MeeGo component and Nokia Symbian components. Lets see what Android Qt
community does...

It is advantage to all developers to get API's harmonized and application
portability between
environments as easy as possible.

Just having Qml made already porting easier when C++ part does not need to be
modified, components
made it even more easier when there were ready made UI components and having
common API
for components makes it even easier. We should still remember that no solution
removes all porting work.
There is no automatic way to make exactly same Qml code offering optimum user
experience in
desktop, tablet and different handset platforms because just the native UX
differs between platforms.
Just as example desktops does not have stacked windows concept at all and using
concept of fill in forms in
handset is in most of cases insane, you should use rather scrollable list ..

Thing is little bit easier in mobile touch screen devices but no automatic
magic can provide solution even
between different device classes with same platform. Compare iPhone and Ipad or
Android phones and tablets.
different physical screen size and different resolution affects to mobile UI
code a lot.

Kate