On Mo, 2011-06-06 at 12:45 +0100, Dumez, Christophe wrote:

> Good point, I overlooked this possibility. In that case, I completely
> agree that checking the ID format at run-time is the only solution.
> I'm attaching a patch for this, I would appreciate if you could review
> it.

If I get this right, the approach is "if any UID doesn't contain 32 bit
integer ID, start hashing". I haven't checked the details, but I assume
you covered the "database is empty initially, new contact gets added"
case as well as "database already contains items" cases.

Now let me really play devil's advocate: what if a hypothetical backend
happens to use string IDs but accidentally the first one seen by
QtContacts-EDS looks like a 32 bit integer IDs? That would trick the
QtContacts-EDS code into entering the INTEGER IdFormat mode incorrectly,
wouldn't it?

Apart from that I like the approach. I think it'll be easy to persuade
me that I worry too much and that it is good enough ;-)

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

on behalf of Intel on this matter.