On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 15:31, Jeremiah Foster
<jeremiah.fos...@pelagicore.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Ross Burton <r...@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 07:57 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
>> > Tell me how an HTML5 app will interface to a camera or gps device, for
>> > instance
>>
>> Something like this I guess:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/html-media-capture/
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/geolocation-API/
>
> Those documents only show how you pass audio, media, and other streams into
> HTML. It doesn't describe how you actually drive the hardware or how you
> connect the hardware to the operating system. While this answers the
> question "how will an HTML5 app interface with a camera" it doesn't obviate
> the need for native drivers and modules to talk to the hardware, which was
> partly the OP's point.
It also doesn't answer what would you be able to do with the content
you get from camera and audio samples. There are some examples on how
you could achieve computational photography and audio processing tasks
in Javascript but that is still in early infant stages. One will need
to make native modules (to what? to JS engine?) to be able to process
those using all power of the device in question.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy