On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 17:04:04 +0200
Arun Ravindran <ext-arun.1.ravind...@nokia.com> wrote:

> Hi Shane,
>
> > Michael and Arun, others who care...
> >
> > I have pushed Michaels patchset to a new public branch called
> > "topic/headless", and am requesting that you guys coordinate your
> > respective work towards the eventual merge into master on this
> > branch.
> >
> > For others that have been waiting (alterego for one) this is where
> > you can start basing future new features, espcially UI related
> > changes, as this branch will be the most likely place what Views
> > will begin to be teased apart from the models and controller.
> >
> > Depending on how drastic or dynamic any new UI work turns out to
> > be, I *may* start a new topic branch for UI changes, stay tuned.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> The latest code is using applifed, and not launcher (applauncherd).
> Any reasons?

Hard to know which one is the "right" one since they are both running
on meego images and the MTF docs refer to applifed as the control
mechanism for pre-start apps.

Can you please explain the difference, or point to documentation that
describes them both and under what conditions we would want to use one
over the other?

IIRC, older sample configs for applifed had a "call" entry for
starting the Nokia call manager app, so I figured that was the "Right
Thing" (TM) to do ;)

> I took the branch, but had to make a few changes to make make it work
> in N900.
>
> 1) the dialer.desktop file changes as described in the README.txt are
> not working.  I had to comment
> X-Osso-Service=com.meego.dialer, to make it work from the application
> launcher (desk/home screen)

Micheal, ideas on this?  I thought you showed it was working, but maybe
I didn't get all the patches merged?

> 2) /etc/prestart/nokia.conf needed the following to start the dialer
> automatically.
> <application name="dialer" service="com.meego.dialer" priority="5" />

Yes, this was known, but since applifed does not read additional config
files and is hard coded to read the nokia.conf file, we can't really
add our own.  Likewise, it would be bad form to modify this file as
part of a post-install script.  So do you have suggestions on solving
it?

Ideally we should file a bug with applifed to make this config dir
based or at least able to do something like
"#include /etc/prestart/services.d/*.conf".  That is if we continue to
use applifed.

> 3) With pre-started dialer, i could never receive incoming call, as
> no alert dialog is shown. I am still investigating to see what is the
> issue.

Michael, any comments on this one too?

Anyway, all of this is why it's still a branch ;)

Shane..