Hi, Gib,
I am pleased your problem was resolved.

The frequency-domain solver should give the same results as the
time-domain solver (with Fourier transform). I wrote an example script
which does exactly such comparison for a metamaterial cell:

https://github.com/FilipDominec/python-meep-utils, look for
'example_frequency_domain_solver'

The examples are written using python-meep, as I need tight
integration with numerical processing which I was not able to do in
scheme.

Filip