Allan Streib wrote:

> I'd like to get something under 15K.  There's an '01 F150 XLT at a local
> lot here, $12.9 but 94K miles.  To me that should be under $10K with
> that many miles.

Yeah, when my dad was looking in 2002, he wanted 2 yrs old/30,000 mi, and
the asking prices were all around 80-90% of new. I talked him into ordering
a new one instead. Turns out that new Ford crew cabs (XLT is the lowest
available trim, XLs only come in supercab) start at 25K plus. I still wouldn't
want to pay 50% for 94k miles/ 4-5 years old.

> Is the Triton V8 reliable?

I don't think there are any junk motors left. Some defects might come off
the line, but I don't think there are any bad designs, although I'd go for
timing chains over belts on OHC engines. (In other words, I have no specific
knowledge of Ford gas engines)
You can get reviews, price estimates, specs, etc on new and used cars
at www.edmunds.com