On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 02:57:34PM -0400, Mitch Haley wrote:
> > Is the Triton V8 reliable?
>
> I don't think there are any junk motors left. Some defects might come off
> the line, but I don't think there are any bad designs, although I'd go for
> timing chains over belts on OHC engines. (In other words, I have no specific
> knowledge of Ford gas engines)

The 5.4s were plagued with some problem that caused the passenger head to
have to come off, but that seemed to go away around 01 or so. Other than
that, the triton eights seem quite robust. Do ***NOT*** overheat a triton
unless you want to replace heads.

I would stay well away from a 4.2 v6. They are extremely underpowered, and
often overworked as a result. The vans at work with the 4.2 get worse mileage
than the 14' box van with a 460. NO, I am not kidding.