On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 12:55:12PM -0500, Allan Streib wrote:
> In the market for a used pickup truck.  Must have 4 doors, a/k/a quad
> cab or crew cab.
>
> Looking at Dodge 1500, Ford F150, might consider a mid-size but probably
> too small.  No diesels (sorry) per the better half.
>
> Must be able to tow up to 3,000 lbs without issue, and accomodate 3 kids
> in the back, two in car seats.

First thing that comes to mind is a dakota quad cab. Can usually find one
with a 4.7 v8, automatic, and 4x4 a two to four years old for the price range
you mentioned. Actually fairly decent little trucks, and the size is just
about perfect. The back seat of the quad cab is amazingly roomy, and the
doors open quite wide.

AFA the towing capacity, I know of someone who tows an E30 BMW race car with
one with no problems. The experience I have with them were with the v6 version.
It could handle a two horse, but it was a teense anemic. If you get the
six, make sure you get the 3.91 gears - it actually got the same mileage as
the 3.55 gears, and had way more get up and go.

(but I bought the powerchoke instead. Dakotas don't do well with 7500 lb
trailers.)