My newest car is a '81 300SD.  Actually, I have two of them along with a
pile of other diesel stuff.   Ain't that cheap though. Maintenance costs are
low but if they're screwed cars the parts costs won't make them worthwhile.

One of my SD's is pretty much rust free so I'm going to move towards that
car. Gives me a good spare engine and trans out of my current rust heap.
Don't care about radio, AC or other trivial stuff. Needs to stop, go, and
have heat during the winter. Not much else matters. Needs to be safe to
drive too, I suppose.....