If it was a 'real' VW Bug, that was the old technology of safety glass. We
learned about in the auto body class I took two million years ago, all I can
remember is that the old style does not shatter into a zillion flakes, which
the new stuff is designed to do. The old stuff cracks into sections when
impacted.

Maybe that is why it blows up. Really can't say for sure.

mac