Steve MacSween wrote:
If it was a 'real' VW Bug, that was the old technology of safety glass. We
learned about in the auto body class I took two million years ago, all I can
remember is that the old style does not shatter into a zillion flakes, which
the new stuff is designed to do. The old stuff cracks into sections when
impacted.

Maybe that is why it blows up. Really can't say for sure.

There are two kinds of safety glass. Windshields use a glass/plastic sandwich that will crack, but not break up into shards. The plastic holds it together. Rear and side windows use tempered glass that blows up into little crumbs when stressed. With both kinds, the main idea is to avoid shattering into dagger-sharp shards, like regular window glass does.