On Tuesday, June 21, 2005, at 12:19  PM, Casey & Susan Kanzler wrote:

I suppose it's a good idea to loosen the lockring first, before tightening it, or else it might try to grab the whole unit and twist. I think the electrical portion installs from the inside, so please don't break it off, or you're hosed! It's real easy to R&R with the pump sitting on my bench, but doing it on the car might be trickier in order to get a good purchase on the lockring with a chisel.

Thanks for investigating this, Casey! Can you explain in more detail how to get the lockring off? I want to attempt this when I've got my intake manifold off sometime in the next couple weeks to change glow plugs and all the usual 603 stuff.

Alex Chamberlain
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
'87 300D Turbo
'01 VW Beetle TDI (wife's)