russian stuff is reasonably cheap, but it stinks and some guns can't handle the lacquered steel cases. I have an older mini 14 i'm shooting it in, but think i will try black hills factory reloads next.

i have serious doubts about the .223 as a manstopper though and still think of it as a varmint type round. i kind of prefer the 7.62x39 myself over the .223, but no reason to have to go military as any deer round will do the job. older military such as .308 and 30/06 or, for you brits, .303, will all do fine. there is also something to be said for sub style carbines, particularly .45 ACP tommy guns