Euan wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong (gently), but although the '85 sedan and estates
shared the same engine, the estate engine was detuned?  Auxiliary systems
parasitise power too, so, among other things, the self-levelling suspension
system peculiar to the wagons would be draining grunt. I guess gear/diff
ratios would also influence velocity.

The fastest I've navigated my '85 non-turbo 300TD 5-spd to was 145 kph (90
mph) on a flat plain. Mind you, that was fully (I mean, fully) laden with
all the gear a family of women need when travelling, into a slight headwind,
on the crap-quality diesel marketed to us here in NZ. The smoke plume was
reported from space.

The sedan and estate engines are IDENTICAL. While the self leveling suspension pump will drain a little power when pumping, that's negligable once the engine is started and running for a bit and level established - then it only needs to add what leaks. The rear ends for the sedan and and wagon have identical ratios (there were special ratios for special purpose vehicles).

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm