Don wrote:
What?
You're saying that your car has a higher top end in 4th than it does
in 5th? Unless there is a governor attached to overdrive, that is
totally counter intuitive.

That's true of MOST Mercedes 5 speeds! All of my 5 spds would go faster or the same speed in 4th. I've owned 3 of them. The TDMs and owner's manuals point that out too.

It's unrelated to the governor - it relates to how much power the engine can deliver and at what engine speed. In 5th gear the engine doesn't deliver as much power as is necessary to travel at maximum speed - it will deliver enough more power in 4th gear to permit the car to go a little faster. Either are below the 5100 governor limit (usually the max ground speed will occur at an engine speed of about 4600 +/- 200 rpm).

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm