Anthony,

I swapped out the P/S fluid in my '83 240D over a year ago. Used Mobil 1ATF
changed the filter. Steering response is improved. Mobil 1 is what is recommended
for our car. The MB type is for the newer cars. You did change the filter???

As for the anti freeze GET RID of the Dex-Cool NOW. Go to your local McParts
and get Zerex G-05 this is the same as the MB fluid.
Dex-Cool is EVIL flush it out multiple times and replace with the Zerex.
When I bought my wifes 300SD it had Dex-Cool in it. Boy it was a mess.
Flushed it out with MB Citric Acid flush (Thanks Rusty) then replaced with
the Zerex. Engine temps went from 100°C down to 85-90° C depending if the
A/C was running.

OT I'm in the Market for an '81-'85 300SD for my wife. I killed hers 3 weeks
ago. Anybody have one they want to get rid of. Contact me Off List.

Russ W.
'83 240D
'81 300SD (DEAD)

Anthony Galioto wrote:

I just changed the anti freeze and power steering fluids on my 1983
240D.  In the PS I put Mobil 1 ATF.  I have now been told this would
damage the seals.  Is this correct ?  Should I drain it and install
regular PS Fluid?  The manual says to use ATF.

I also changed the antifreeze.  I installed Prestone Dex-Cool, it was
more expensive so I thought it's better.  I am now worried because I
read the container and it says its for an aluminum engine.  Should I
drain and replace this fluid?

Thanks,

Anthony

1983 240D 62900 mi