Anthony Galioto wrote:
I just changed the anti freeze and power steering fluids on my 1983
240D.  In the PS I put Mobil 1 ATF.  I have now been told this would
damage the seals.  Is this correct ?  Should I drain it and install
regular PS Fluid?  The manual says to use ATF.

I also changed the antifreeze.  I installed Prestone Dex-Cool, it was
more expensive so I thought it's better.  I am now worried because I
read the container and it says its for an aluminum engine.  Should I
drain and replace this fluid?

Your car came with ATF in the power steering system. Only problem with using modern PS fluid is that it gets pretty stiff in VERY cold weather. Mobil 1 ATF solves that problem. Mercedes makes it's own PS fluid now, but ATF is fine for older (before the '90s) Mercedes.

The Prestone Dex-Cool is NOT really suitable. Leave it in for a year or so and then completely flush it and change to Zerex G-05 or Mercedes anti-freeze (they are identical). There are NO other anti-freeze mixtures that meet the Mercedes requirements.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm