I've just been through the saga of dealing with my a/c system, and it ain't
over yet.  Here are some of the things I've learned along the way...

Converted to R134 a few years ago when the evaporator started leaking.  That
worked for a couple of years...started having troubles with it this year and
took it to an indie a/c shop for work.  They said the compressor seals were
blown, and put in a new compressor.  They then determined that the KLIMA
relay was toasted (I'm not sure how good an analysis this was).  They put in
an aftermarket KLIMA, and started having problems with them frying.  I say
them...I don't know how many of them they went through before they got one
to last. One of the other things they did was to replace the R134 with
Freeze12, which claims to be a replacement for R-12.  I did a google on it
and found out that it's certified by EPA and readily available.  It seems to
cool well.  The indie a/c shop swears by it...

Continuing on...blew the KLIMA relay (the aftermarket one) again, so I took
it to my regular indie, who said they had been having troubles with the
after market KLIMAs and put an OEM KLIMA on it.  That part of the system
seems to be working, but I still think I'm losing FR-12...as I drive I keep
hearing something from time to time that sounds like a relief valve lifting.
Gotta check into that some more today.

Royce Engler

1985 300TD Turbo 265K