[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> That being the case, let me elaborate on the symptoms. The only position
> on the pushbutton array that actually does anything is the defrost. All other
> buttons behave like 'off', with the possible exception of the A/C switch -
> there is no belt on the A/C, so we haven't played with A/C at all. When the
> defroster is on, it puts out full heat, irregardless of the position on the
> wheel.

Yes, that is the failure, or fail-safe mode. The intent is that you can
drive the car safely even in cold conditions until the system gets repaired.

Actually, IIRC that system always puts out heat on defrost, however, even
when the rest of the pushbutton array is working. Someone correct me if I'm
wrong, as I hardly ever had to use defrost except in the worst of winter
conditions on my 116.

If you decide to be brave and pull the pushbutton panel at some point, be
very, very careful as you are liable for a blown mind when you see the
spaghetti of wires and fiber optic cables running into the back of the
assembly.

Oh, dear, that reminds me. The car didn't by any chance have a stereo
installed recently, did it?

Mac