Despite 'only' some 17 states making it illegal, it's illegal to use
any flammable refrigerant in a motor vehicle in the United States, if
that motor vehicle's AC system originally contained R-12. (Don't ask
me why they'll allow it to replace R-134a in the 33 other states, if
the car originally had 134a - seems bizarre to me.) That includes
Duracool, btw. But hey, don't take my word for it... read it here as
part of the EPA test study guide:

http://www.imaca.org/sg-13.htm#flammable

:-)

-Dave M. (EPA 609 certified as of last night - woo-hoo!)