Joe,

That's a good question - might be a loophole, if one actually wanted
to do this. However to me it would be highly undesireable because you
would need to contaminate a virgin mineral oil system with POE in
order to do the 134a conversion. I'd be more interested in keeping it
 PAG/POE-free than wanting to use a certain refrigerant. To me, the
only advantage of the flammable stuff is cost - it's cheap. ;-)

On a side note, all this discussion about pulling less than 29" vacuum
to me seems absurd... if you want the system evacuated properly with
as much moisture as possible boiled out, you're not going to get that
with a venturi pump (27-28" max) and definitely not from an idling gas
engine (20-22" max at idle, imo, unless you're revving it and shutting
the throttle.) Only way to get 29+ is with a dedicated vac pump.
They're available for rent if you don't want to shell out ~$200 to buy
a new one.

(flame suit on)

-dm