dave walton wrote:
Yes, it's apart. I love the car, but hate the engine.
I originally removed the head because of wicked oil burning that turned out to be caused by a blown head gasket. The #1 cylinder was not coming up as much as the others, so I pulled the engine. The #1 connecting rod is bent, but the cylinders are not ovaled much. All are within .006" of round. The #1 cylinder is indeed the most ovaled, but the original honing marks are still visible all around the cylinder wall, so I'm going to live with it and hope for the best.

I just got a digital caliper and remeasured everything. The #1 rod is 0.36mm shorter than the new one. It is also slightly bent to the side and ever so slightly twisted. The opening for the bottom bearing has enlarged 0.07mm horizontally and 0.02mm vertically.

The deviation from circular can not be more than 0.05 mm - that's 0.0002" (unless I lost a decimal point somewhere). For a new or rebored block the limit is between none to 0.014mm.

Your measured deviation of 0.006" from cylindrical is about 30 times greater than the worst case Mercedes permits. When you're all done you will have HIGH oil consumption with the cylinder profile that far off.

I've attached the workshop sheets for cylinder wall and you already have the conrod sheet.

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm