Let me first of all say, that I firmly beieve that you are entitled to your
opinion. However, I don't agree with
it. I think that the automobile is and has been a wonderful thing. It boils
down to the single word - "freedom". Go
where you want, when you need or want to without meeting some schedule set by
someone else. If I can't have oil,
then I still want some other energy source because I don't want to use mass
transit systems. I like my car, truck
etc.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think folks who commute long distances daily are
goofy. I tried that for a while and it
did not take me long to realize that I did not want to commute across the city
daily. I have moved my office
several times in the past 28 years and all but one move has been closer to home
rather than further away. I could
see my house from our office building if a local hospital was a bit shorter. I
could walk to work but I don't and I
don't want to. Much of my driving is to the lake and that is a 350 mile round
trip. I have done that 6 times now
since mid May. There is no train to that location and I would not want to ride
it if there were. Sometimes I go
Friday night and stay to Sunday and sometimes I go Saturday morning and stay to
Monday. I am usually hauling
something out or back. Come October, my travels will drop off to almost nothing
but this time of year I put quite a
few miles on. I'd love something more efficient and less expensive to run but
my thoughts in that direction have
been somewhat stymied by the rising price of diesel oil. A smaller truck
wouldn't help much and a Honda Civic with
a trailer does not really turn my crank so for the moment, I just carry on with
my existing vehicle and hope for
better times.

Randy