Rolf wrote:
> The reasons Mom and Pop's couldn't compete was the debasement of the
> village concept being used to develop the suburbs. It wasn't the fault
> of the Mom and Pop's it was the fault of the developer and the consumer.
> Mom and pop's always provided better quality, the big boxes survive on
> undercutting quality to provide a cheaper price (and in doing so often
> put the manufacturer out of business).

I really think the box store approach is more efficient.  Centralized
distribution at all levels.  Including the personal level.  Instead of
driving around to different little stores, I can drive to Wal-mart and
take care of 98% of my shopping needs in one trip.

Wal-mart does not do anything any other company does with their pricing.
  Every single company you have ever dealt with has pressured their
suppliers into providing lower costs.  Wal-mart just has a HUGE stick to
beat them with.  If a supplier goes out of business because they lowered
their cost too much...  so what?  Doesn't seem like the business was run
well enough to know what their cost was.

For some things quality isn't all that important...  see Harbor Freight.
  Unless you are a pro or doing a big project their stuff works great
and is ultra cheap.

John