> The gas internal combustion process is very clean & complete these
> days, so
> clean that pretty much all that comes out of the exhaust is CO2 and
> water
> vapor.

In a sense that doesn't count, as much of that 'efficiency' is
due to final combustion inside the catalytic converter where it
does nothing for propulsion.  If you could do anything to make
the existing burn more complete, and/or have its pressure curve
somehow better shaped for extraction of energy via the piston
as it moves over its sinusoidal path, then you would see a gain.

> What about propane fumigation of a diesel engine? Does it add more
> power than an equal BTU value of diesel fuel?

Supposedly, yes.  My neighbor's done some research.

> And is this gain more than you would get by
> advancing the timing until an equal combustion pressure was attained?

Good question.  I do know that if you're seeing soot you're
seeing unburned fuel, so there's room for improvement in the
basic diesel process.

-- Jim