-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Donald Snook
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2008 12:58 PM
To: Mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] What would you buy now?

Randy wrote: "Unfortunately, my wife had a mishap with her car this weekend
that may well be the end of it.
Unfortunate as it was a nice car. A 1998 Toyota Avalon with only about 75K
miles on it. . . . Sort of lost on what
to buy as a replacement however. Anyone with a crystal ball out there? Fuel
mileage keeps coming to the forefront
on our thoughts. A Honda Civic maybe? Don't really like small cars but most of
her driving is very close to home so
that might be alright. Don't want to spend a fortune but she will not be happy
with any sort of a fixer upper so it
has to be something relatively new.

If I were you, I would hope they total the car. The 1998 (in particular) Avalon
had a real problem with oil sludge
building in the engine and causing major damage. It is one of those cars that
the 3,000 mile interval should be
meticulously observed.  (Just google Toyota Avalon and oil and I bet you get a
ton of hits and you can read about
the problems).

Have you thought of the Chevy Impala.  It is about the same size as the Avalon.
They are really nice cars.  If you
can get a 2002 or newer the 3800 engine is awesome and by 2002 they had fixed
the intake problem.  They get
surprisingly good mileage.  30 plus on the highway.  They are sporty and I
think they are good looking cars.

Donald H. Snook